Today was the official first day of the annual Seatrade convention in Florida. This year the title was changed to Seatrade Cruise Global and was relocated from Miami to Port Everglades (Apparently located just off of the Princess cruise terminal).
The morning started off with the annual State of the industry panel hosted by Peter Greenberg, Travel Editor for CBS News.
Here’s some notes from that panel and other announcements made today:
- MSC announced that they will sail year-round in Cuba once approved,
- Speaking of Cuba, fathom ‘technically’ doesn’t have the required certificates and paperwork from Cuban authorities yet but they anticipate no issues in obtaining it.
- Ponant Cruises announced they will build 4 new expedition ships at the VARD shipyard.
- Crystal Cruises debuted a Bombardier jet to add to their fleet of aircraft.
- Crystal also announced the first of it’s three polar classed newbuilds out of Lloyd Werft will be called Crystal Endeavor.
- Regent cruises announced a fleetwide refub plan for all their ships.
— MSC Cruises (USA) (@MSCCruisesUSA) March 15, 2016
The Fincantieri booth has a model of the Carnival Vista as well as MSC Seaside.
Tonight is also the Porthole Magazine party. I hear those things can get crazy. Lets see if anyone tweets or instagrams out anything.
As I tweeted earlier, I’m not at this years event, but I plan on attending next years event.